Our History: A Revere Bell

St. Michaelís first bell was hung in 1718. When news of the Declaration of Independence broke out in 1776, it was rung so hard by fervent patriots that it cracked. A new bell was installed in 1802 but was damaged beyond repair in 1817. A third bell was cast by the Paul Revere & Sons Foundry in 1818 and hangs in the tower today.

A major renovation was undertaken in 1994 to replace worn bearings and to preserve the rusting cast iron supports. Today, the Revere bell at St. Michaelís is heard regularly throughout Marbleheadís downtown during Mass, and is rung—along with other town bells—during patriotic celebrations including Independence Day.



A Paul Revere bell hangs in St. Michael's belltower

Learn more about St. Michaelís history:

Surrounding Buildings
A Revere Bell
St. Michael’s Church Architecture and Chronology
Music
Stained Glass Windows
Archives and Preservation
St. Michael’s Crypt & Churchyard
Women at St. Michael’s
Partial List of Treasures
St. Michael’s Rectors
Histories of St. Michael’s Available Online

back to Our History page

last update 02/15/2014